Wednesday, May 6, 2009

No More IEP

It's official, Maya is no longer on an IEP. I don't really know how I feel. I'm nervous, I'm happy, I'm worried, I'm excited. The school wanted to take her out of services back in March. Charlie and I said, "No, absolutely not. We've been through this before. She does poorly, they up her services, she does well, they slow her services." It's a pattern every year. So when we objected to it, they did all the tests over again and found that she is working in her grade level on everything. So it is not necessary for her to have and IEP and receive services. Then they ask me how I feel.

uh... good?... All the paperwork is sitting right in front of me. They have explained every test and result in detail.

uh... I feel... well, the tests don't lie. I have to accept it. (Please don't cry, you always cry. Be strong. Don't cry.)

Couldn't help it.

"I feel she'll do fine." I didn't really believe it.

She has made a lot of progress lately. They wouldn't take her out if she really needed it. A lot of things have been clicking with Maya lately. She IS doing well. No one would ever think that she had so many problems when she was younger. The services she received worked. She uses the techniques they gave her everyday.

Then why am I so teary eyed? What is there to be afraid of ? I guess I'm afraid she will fail. She won't have a reason why she didn't understand the lesson or can't read as fast as the rest of the class, or can't spell worth a hoot. Well I can't spell worth a hoot either. I'm afraid that when we move back to the states she'll be made fun of (That doesn't happen here. For some reason the kids are very understanding and treat one another completely equal. It's almost unbelievable how well military kids treat each other).

After today she will no longer see that teacher. She is having a celebration party in her class. So I should be celebrating Maya's accomplishments too. I should be jumping for joy and counting my blessings that she's doing so well. So dry the eyes and put it in God's hands. He has never failed me. Encourage, encourage, encourage. I should have a celebration dinner and tell her how proud I am of her. Best Blogger Tips